After reading the article last month in Runner’s World about the girl that got hit and killed by a car during a run (Collision Course p 84, Jan issue), I really started to think about how safe I am when I run. Some of the changes I made to run safer are:
For those of you that don’t know about Road ID, it’s an ID that, depending on the style you choose, you can wear on your wrist, ankle, shoe, around your neck or anywhere you can think of. The idea is, “if you ever find yourself in a situation where you can’t speak for yourself, your Road ID will speak for you.”
-Mike and Edward Wimmer, co owners of Road ID (some pretty funny guys, I might add)
There are two types of Road IDs, the original and interactive. The original gives you 6-7 lines to engrave with contact information, allergies, a message, anything you want. The interactive version gives you only 2-3 lines to engrave with personal information BUT it gives you a serial and pin number to call or log on for your complete Emergency Response Profile. Your profile can include as little or as much information as you want.
I chose to go with the interactive Road ID for several reasons:
- It gives emergency personnel more information about me like my blood type, previous surgeries and allergies.
- My husband is military so we move a lot, this way I can easily change my address without having to purchase a replacement ID.
- My profile is easy to update and keep current as my medical history may change. They also walk you through, step by step, and give you examples of information you might want to include.
I love that you can really personalize your Road ID, there are plenty of different styles and colors to choose from. I liked the sleek design of the Elite but if you like a more rugged look you can go with theSport
. If you want an ID and somewhere to keep extra cash you can always go with theShoe ID Pouch
On Saturday I wore my ID to both races. I normally go to races alone so I felt a lot better knowing my husband would be notified right away if something were to happen to me. The band was comfortable to wear and can be adjusted to fit any wrist size so I didn’t even feel it the whole time.
It’s every runner’s worst nightmare and hopefully you’ll never have to use it but the sad truth is that plenty of people do use it every year, just read thetestimonials
on their website. Road ID is saving people’s lives and I know that never again will I run without mine. Heck, it’s so cute I’d wear it even when I’m not running.
The owners of Road ID are passionate about keeping athletes safe. This is a really great company, if you’ve ever ordered a Road ID then you’ll know what I’m talking about. They want people to be smart and safe and so after placing my order they immediately sent me a coupon code for my friends to get $1 off their order.
Because Road ID is such an amazing company, they are giving you the opportunity to win your very own ID right here. How to enter (please, please, please leave a separate comment for each entry):
- Become a fan of Road ID on Facebook, they are such an awesome company, let’s show them how much we love them by being a fan. Leave me a comment to let me know.
- Tweet about this giveaway, here’s an example to use:
- Follow my blog or let me you already do, don’t forget to leave a comment.
- Link to this giveaway on your blog and leave a comment to let me know you did.
You have until midnight on 2/21 to enter, I will choose using random.org and post the winner on Monday, good luck to you all and remember, run safe!