Friday, March 7, 2014

Post Surgery Update

It has been 2 weeks since my surgery and I am happy to say that things are going very well! I had no idea that recovery would be so quick, I was in so much pain before that I really started to lose hope. I was able to walk to the bathroom about an hour after I woke up from surgery and I got teary-eyed because as the nurse was holding my arm I gasped, it had been months since I walked without pain and I was literally, completely pain free. Once the remainder of the drugs wore off and the swelling around the incision flared up I had a little nerve pain, but not even a drop in the bucket compared to what I was experiencing pre-surgery. Every day that passes the nerve pain is a little less but I can walk without any pain, I can go from sitting to standing on my own and without pain, I can tie my own shoes and sit! Sitting was a big one, I hadn't been able to sit without severe pain and you'd be surprised how much that can affect your life. Going anywhere in the car required me to be heavily medicated and that was just to take the edge off so it's crazy that yesterday I was able to get behind the wheel and drive again. I'm completely off the Percocet now and I only take ibuprofen and a medication to help with my nerve.
I've been able to walk my dog again on our regular 3 mile route, she is very happy. Walking has been great but also very tiring for me, I was bedridden for so long that my muscles got weak and couple that with the nerve damage, walking is a bigger struggle for me than it has ever been and that is hard mentally for me. I feel like I'm young and in shape so I should be able to do these things but the truth is my muscles feel like I just RAN 10 miles when I actually WALKED 3 miles. I'm definitely going to be taking it easy compared to what I was doing before this whole thing started with my nerve but I have races to do and although my goals have changed I still plan to push myself.
I haven't been down to Oregon yet so Portland was an obvious choice for a half when my husband and I signed up back in October, some things have changed but I've already paid my fee so I might as well walk it. I'm going to follow a training plan as though I was running because I need to build up my endurance just the same only I'll be walking. I'm still really excited about it, this will just help me appreciate running even more when I am eventually able to do it again. Come May, if I can walk Portland and feel good afterward then I might decide to add some running to Seattle in June. Only time will tell but for now I'm thankful to be doing well and hopefully my progress will continue.
I'll keep checking in on here to update you all, now that I can sit at my computer. ;)


One Crazy Penguin said...

That's fantastic! Post back surgery bliss is always a good thing :) My fiance had spinal fusion and it was night and day after surgery. It gave him his life back. It's hard for people to really understand unless they've experienced it or really seen it. So excited for you!!!

262x2 said...

I'm so glad you're doing so well! YAY!

Patty White said...

You're getting there. Post surgery is tough. Give it about 2 weeks to get a handle on pain & fatigue. Keep listening to your ortho md. Walking is an awesome form of exercise! My poor doggies would collapse if they had to walk 3 miles!